Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A day full of gray...

Like I mentioned yesterday, today we headed to New York City for David's MRI and oncologist appointment. It was a little later in the day, so I was able to drop the girls off at school. I've made it a habit this past year (since starting my blog) to wear gray whenever we head down for an appointment. Anyways, I was driving the kiddos to school and thinking about my gray outfit, and what should play on the radio but Glycerine by Bush...more specifically, the lyrics when I turned on the car was "And everything's gray." Talk about perfect timing! lol...David even wore gray today...but that was completely unintentional...:P

We got on the road about 10:00, leaving Buddy to hang out with Papa for the day. David's MRI was scheduled for 1:30...even with stopping at Nardellis for lunch...which, if you are ever in CT, is a must! The best Italian grinder restaurant ever! They were even featured in Rachael Ray's magazine. It's the weirdest thing...they actually don't look terribly awesome, but even I, an avowed sandwich snob (not a big fan of bread!), love them! We split a hot pepper, prosciutto, chicken sandwich with all the fixings...mmm, mmm, mmmm! Anyways, back to the main story, we got there by 1:00, which is necessary so you don't lose your place in line. Then we waited...and waited...and waited. Ugh...he didn't even get called back until around 2:30, and his dr appt was at 3. Of course, we wound up being late for that...having to walk a couple blocks after he got out from the scan. Then, wait some more, finally get back in the room around 4:00. Oh well...glad I had my awesome tablet to occupy me ;)

He is always so ready for me to stop taking pics of him...lol

David was actually a bit worried about this scan...no reason in particular. It's just kinda like the Sword of Damocles always hanging over you. He's actually normally not worried at all...but for whatever reason, this one was troubling him. There's actually a term in the cancer world for it - "Scanxiety." We were so grateful and relieved when the doctor told us right away that his scan looked good...no changes, nothing to see. Praise God! We met a new doctor in fellowship with his main oncologist...she was really nice. She took care of all the check up, neurological exams, etc. Then Dr. Omuro came in...really, the visit with him only took about 5 minutes...guess he was ready to go home. They thought David looked good. They still aren't worried about his body pain, especially since it is (very, very) slowly improving. Nobody really knows what it is...a few theories floating around...but nobody is worried. Guess it's not their pain. 

We stopped for dinner at a little Thai restaurant nearby...I have never seen such a tight seating arrangement! hahaha...our curry was delicious though! David's first bite was super hot...he was like nope! Trade with me! Of course I said no way! But I tried his...and it wasn't that bad...he just hit a pepper spot I guess...lol We made it home a little before 9:00...it's always a very long day!

Today is also the one year anniversary (although it feels weird saying that for something sad!) of my mother-in-law's passing. We got the call at 2:00 in the morning from Dad...you never want to get one of those...they are always bad. We woke all the kids, got them in the car and made the 45 minute drive without knowing exactly what was going on. It was utterly heartbreaking! and so unreal....just didn't seem like it was actually happening. It was such an awful time for everyone...completely unexpected and entirely too soon.

I know I harp on it a lot, but my in-laws have been such an incredible blessing. I was immediately accepted into the family. Mama was the heart of the family in so many ways...and she just made me belong instantly. I can't even tell you how much she loved her grand-babies! She would do just about anything for them. She was always willing to watch them...spoil them! and love them to pieces. Her health had declined a bit in later years...but she always wanted to see them and love on them. And they of course, adored her! She wasn't perfect by any means...lol...who is? She was the boss...and it was her way or no way...as everyone would tell you. I did finally have to put my foot down after she cut Red One's hair when she was little...uh uh! hahahahaha...but really, I so enjoyed her company. She was funny, blunt as all get out (didn't hesitate to let you know if you had a humongous zit! ;) she was a wonderful southern cook! We'd go thrift store shopping and picnicking, and exploring before she became home bound. She loved nothing more than to have her family around her...eat and talk and laugh together. I will always be so thankful for the way she made me a part of the family...and I will always miss her. 

This was obviously a few years ago...when Buddy was 1.
Love you Mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment