Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Summer's End...sniffle, sob, and sighs of relief (on my part, and only when the kids are super annoying ;)

So, that congestion I was starting to get after David's last doctor appointment just got worse. I've been coughing like a consumptive for the past two weeks. Oddly enough, I didn't feel sick or bad at all, other than my disgusting cough. It seemed like it might have finally been going away, but then Monday morning my chest started hurting so much! It literally felt like my rib cage was constricting into itself. OK fine, to the doctor I went ;) Turns out it was bronchitis...he loaded me up with antibiotics, cough syrup, and renewed my inhaler for me as well. I was feeling much better, no chest pain at all by the next day. I should have snapped a pic of me with all my goodies...lol!

One of the things I love about summertime is that our church has a women's Bible study. I so love to get together with other godly women and study the Word and gain that sense of community and support. CLG used to have a Wednesday night service, which was our favorite. But since they started small groups, they stopped most other extracurricular activities, except for the summer...so I always look forward to it! This year we've been using Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts study. It's SO good! It's about her journey to chronicle her gratitude for all of God's gifts in the middle of everyday life, whether it be tragic, joyous, or just normal living. She has such a beautiful way with words...reminds me a bit of Anne of Green Gables all grown up. :) It's definitely a stop and think sort of book...I highly recommend it!


Now that summer is winding down, we've been trying to stuff the remaining time with fun and relaxation before the kids head back to school. Last week the kids biked and I walked the dog down to the reservoir. There's this great place right near the girls school with trails and water. They had been several times for running club, but in the three years we've lived here, I've never gone. Wow, was I glad I finally went! It was so beautiful. It had your typical wooded trails, but then all of sudden you get to the water and it's like something out of a storybook...just gorgeous! It helped that the day was perfect...sunny, not too hot and a perfect breeze. Couldn't have asked for a better day for being outside!





 Oops, didn't know you couldn't bring dogs :/ but couldn't pass up the photo opportunity!

 Look at this place! It's gorgeous!!!



We'll definitely be making more trips there...sans dog of course!

On Saturday, Rachel texted me to see if we wanted to come over...Dad was smoking ribs. What do you think my answer was? "Heck yeah!" hahaha...but seriously, who can pass up ribs? Well, apparently David can...we'll blame the fatigue. He stayed home, but the kids and I headed over. Really, we just wanted to check out their new 3D TV...jk! But it was super cool! We watched some ocean documentary in 3D...and it actually worked really well. It was a little awkward for me wearing the 3D glasses over my regular glasses...but once you found the sweet spot it was cool! We also got a bonfire going...and of course, s'mores! and strawberry shortcake...good times! While we were sitting out by the fire, this one fluttering bat kept flying over us, back and forth, back and forth...it was pretty cool!

This is actually a gray shirt! Yay for gray!

 We've been having the most beautiful red, pink and orange skies at sunset the last week. It's really unusual for around here...reminds me a bit of home!

We finally got all the girls teacher letters...Red Three and Two got theirs almost two weeks ago, but Red One didn't get her's till Saturday. It's pretty frustrating to have to wait so long, especially since the school supplies are different for each teacher. Red One is going into 6th grade (what?!?!?!), so it's a whole new school and setup. Instead of one teacher, she'll be on a team (she got Team DaVinci) with a homeroom and everything. It's exciting, but she's a bit nervous too. Who wouldn't be? Luckily, our town has a 6th Grade Academy, so they will all be newbies...they'll all be wondering what going on together! hahaha

Yesterday, I made some blueberry muffins...they were SO good! I got the recipe off Pinterest (where else?)...I'd been wanting to make them for a while and finally did yesterday. They were scrumptious! Everyone loved them (except for David, for some reason...he thought they were good, but didn't love the muffin base. I don't know what he was talking about, the muffin was great!). The muffin was moist and tender, the berries were berrylicious ;) you also made a thick blueberry syrup to swirl in them and topped with a streusel crumb! My only change that I would do next time, is make double the streusel and add more halfway through the cook time...sometimes the crumb topping can tend to melt into the muffin base. Other than that, I felt they were about perfect. My friends keep telling me I should do a cooking blog...I keep telling them I don't make anything up, I only follow other people's recipes. But I might start doing a review of all the recipes I make off of Pinterest and any tweaks I make. Might be fun! Anyways, here's the link to the blueberry muffins...you'll definitely want to try them out!


The Best Ever Blueberry Muffins

Speaking of blue, you'll never guess what I had to clean up the other day....that's right, blue dog vomit. Just when I though it couldn't get any worse, the dog threw up blue puke all over the carpet. It wasn't just chunks of blue crayon, like it usually is when she eats crayons, it had literally melded in her stomach and all of the puke was blue! I was so mad, but kinda thought it was hilarious too! I mean seriously, how many times are you gonna see that sight? It was however, the last straw...out the rug went. I'm tired of cleaning it! It's a shame, it was a nice Pottery Barn area rug (that I got for a steal years ago)...but what with messy kids and a nasty dog who always chose to throw up on it (seriously, she wouldn't throw up anywhere but on the rug!), I was done.

Monday night, David took his last dose of oral chemo for this round, and since this is his last round, hopefully that's the last of the stuff for a very, very long time! He still has one more IV chemo next week, then a couple weeks after that we'll have his MRI and meet with the doc...I'm super hopeful that after that he won't have to go back to Sloan for at least several months! I'm wishing for no more than quarterly visits after that...keep us in prayers!

Rachel's been bugging me, so I finally joined Instagram. I gotta admit, it's kinda cool ;) If anyone wants to follow me, here ya go...just click and it should link you to me ;) (I hope anyways)

Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment