Monday, October 21, 2013

Cross Country Challenge and Fiery Fall Foliage

The school system has a town wide cross country challenge for all the elementary schools every year. The girls were thrilled to take part again this year. Just kidding! Hahaha, they hate running...but I'm a mean mama and make them participate anyways. They go to running club on Fridays after school...Red One is just so happy that now that she's at the 6th grade academy she doesn't have to go anymore! lol

They do like the race better than the running club though. ;) Although, they were bemoaning the fact that they had to run a whole mile! oh no....poor babies! I always like to remind them of how I ran 20 miles when I was 6...they always get mad! hahaha...I always say, if I had to go through that torture, then it's only fair they do...and I'm a lot nicer, only a mile! So Saturday morning we made smoothies for breakfast then headed to the high school Buddy was super excited to go to the race...until we got there and he understood that he wasn't racing. Oh my, was he upset! He curled up on the ground and tried to crawl under the van to hide and cry. Poor Buddy! It was equal part hilarious and heartbreaking. Rachel took him to run around the track while we were waiting for the girls' races. At first he didn't want anything to do with it...but then he got happy. 


Red Two's race was first...the 4-5 grade girls. And they were off!

Whatcha walking for girlie? Move those legs! hahaha
That's more like it!

She wound up getting 36th place...out of about 125...so pretty good! Kim's kids were there running too...her oldest finished right after Red 2! The boys 4-5 grade was next...Sarah's son was racing. He's really fast! All those years of soccer paid off ;) He placed 4th!


Then it was Red Three's turn! She's on the smaller side...a lot of those 2nd graders and pretty much all of the 3rd graders were towering over her! She actually got a little nervous before hand. We made sure she had all her asthma meds taken...she still didn't feel great during the race she said, but she finished! I was so proud of her. She was a little sad...she was 57th (I think...)...but that's above average! And I was so happy she never gave up!

Run Baby Run!

Silly kids! 
This was right after 3's race...she was 100% done here!
But still managed to make a silly face ;)
And here's Red One, ecstatic she didn't have to run :P

We decided the perfect way to celebrate a big race was Sonic! mmmmm...Vanilla Coke, tater tots, limeade and more! Yes, I do see the irony ;)

After church on Sunday, we thought it was the perfect day to walk down to the reservoir. Papa and Rachel hadn't been to see it before. I made sure to bring my camera...I've been wanting to get pics of all the beautiful fall leaves!

Not much better than caramel apple lollipops! 
The reservoir really is just beautiful!
Buddy got pretty tuckered out!
Fishies!

I must admit...one of the things I do love about Connecticut is the fall! Growing up in Texas, I loved the warm weather...but not too many changing leaves in autumn. I just love the fiery trees up here! But they can keep the winter! UGH!!! lol

This is a candy corn tulle wreath I made last year. It's super easy!

Of course, it's from Pinterest...but it's just little strips of tulle tied around a foam wreath. Easy Peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment